Jeffrey E. Wong, M.D.Board Certified, Fellowship Trained Sports Medicine Surgeon, Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Subspecialty Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Dr. Jeffrey Wong grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and attended UC Berkeley, where he obtained his bachelor’s degree in Molecular and Cell Biology. He earned his medical degree at UC Irvine and graduated as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. He completed his residency in Orthopedic Surgery at UCLA, and served as chief resident in his final year. After residency, he completed fellowship training in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
During his fellowship, he gained extensive experience in taking care of athletes at all levels of competition. He worked as a team physician for the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution, Curry College and a number of local high schools. During his training, he also presented his research work at national and international meetings. His research has been published in peer reviewed journals and reference books.
Dr. Wong has specialized training in taking care of all sports medicine related injuries. He has a special interest in minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures for the shoulder, elbow and knee as well as open reconstructive procedures of the shoulder. His practice also includes all aspects of general orthopedics. His goal is to provide each patient with the highest standard of care to return them back to the activities they enjoy by using the best treatments available. He is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon and is also a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine and the Arthroscopy Association of North America.
- Harvard/Massachusetts General Hospital Sports Medicine Fellowship
- UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA Medical Center Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery
- University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
- UC Berkeley Undergraduate
- CA State Medical License
- MA State Medical License
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Jiang Q, Wong J, Fryst H, Saba JD and Ames BN. Gamma-Tocopherol or Combinations of Vitamin E Forms Induce Cell Death in Human Prostate Cancer Cells by Interrupting Sphingolipid Synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2004 Dec 21; 101(51): 17825-30.
- Jiang Q, Wong J and Ames BN. Gamma-Tocopherol Induces Apoptosis in Androgen-Responsive LNCaP Prostate Cancer Cells via Caspase-dependent and Independent Mechanisms. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec; 1031: 399-400.
- Wong J, Min K, Steichen J and Andrade E. The PALS Program at the UC Irvine School of Medicine. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2007 Jan; Vol.55 (1), #490.
- Wong JE, Aviles SA and Ma CB. Intraosseous Ganglion of the Glenoid. American Journal of Orthopedics. 2010 Feb; 39(2): E19-21.
- Wong J and Gupta R. Nerve Repair: Basic Science and Current Concepts. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Website: Orthopaedic Knowledge Online 2010; 8(6): orthoportal.aaos.org. Accessed May 24, 2010.
- Otarodifard K, Wong JE, Preston CF, Tibone JE, and Lee TQ. Relative Fixation Strength of Rabbit Subscapularis Repair is Comparable to Human Supraspinatus Repair at Time Zero. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2014 Aug; 472(8): 2440-2447.
- Niesen MC, Wong JE, Ebramzadeh E, Sangiorgio S, Soohoo NF, Luck JV and Eckardt J. Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowships: The Effects of Interviewing on Residents and How Residents Establish a Rank List. Orthopedics. 2015 Mar; 38(3):175-179.
- Leathers M, Merz A, Wong JE, Scott T, and Hame SL. Demographic Trends of ACL Reconstruction in the United States, 2004 to 2009. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2015 Oct; 28(5):390-394.
- Wong JE, Vopat BG, Vorys GC, Golijanin P and Provencher MT. Biceps Tenodesis Techniques with Rotator Cuff Tears: Fork, Rope and Open. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2016 June; 17(2): 72-76.
- Vopat BG, Wong JE, Hazzard S, Golijanin P, Palmer WE, and Asnis PD. Encapsulated Fat Necrosis Lesion Caused by a Morel-Lavallee in a Professional Hockey Player: A Case Report. American Journal of Orthopedics. 2017 May/Jun; 46(3):E144-E147.
- Vopat BG, Gross DJ, Wong JE, Golijanin P, Parada S, Tarakemeh A and Provencher MT. Terminal Sterilization of Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Allografts: A Systematic Review of Outcomes. Kansas J Med 2020 Feb 28; 13:23-28.
- Waltz RA, Wong JE, Peebles AM, Golijanin P, Ruzbarsky JJ, Arner JW, Peebles LA, Millett PJ and Provencher MT. Postoperative Stiffness and Pain after Arthroscopic Labral Stabilization: Consider Anchor Arthropathy. Arthroscopy. 2021 Nov; 37 (11):3266-3274.
- Ruzbarsky JJ, Waltz RA, Peebles AM, Wong JE, Golijanin P, Arner JW, Peebles LA, Godin JA, Millett PJ, and Provencher MT. Anchor Arthropathy of the Shoulder Joint after Instability Repair: Outcomes Improve with Revision Surgery. Arthroscopy 2021 Dec; 37(12):3414-3420.
- Elfar J, Petrungaro JM, Braun RM, Cheng CJ, Gupta R, Labore A and Wong JE. Nerve, Chapter 17. The ASSH Manual of Hand Surgery. 2010.
- Berkson E, Nolan D, Fleming K, Spang R, Wong J, Asnis P and Kawadler J. Magee, Zachazewski, Quillen, Manske: Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation Series Volume III Pathology and Intervention, 2/e, Chapter 20 Knee: Ligamentous and Patellar Tendon Injuries. 2015.
- Vopat BG, Wong JE, Golijanin P and Provencher MT. Superior Labrum and Biceps Pathology. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update (OKU) for Sports Medicine, 5th edition. 2015.
- Morris BL, Vopat BG, Wong JE, Peebles LA, Golijanin P and Provencher MT. Superior Labrum and Biceps Pathology. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update (OKU) for Sports Medicine, 6th edition. 2020.
- Coming soon
- MemorialCare, Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center Fountain Valley, California
- Saddleback Medical Center Laguna Hills, CA